More and more work is today conducted in project form. Ultimately, project management is about delivering the desired quality on time and within the estimated cost framework. Such results can be achieved more effectively if the right conditions are present.
A study of several project operations in Swedish industry shows that around 60% of projects take more time in practice than expected and 80% exceed their budget.
To succeed, the project management must function as a whole by supporting the organisation's processes, be adapted to the current situation, be controlled by competent staff and be supported by good tools. The foundation of successful projects is laid during the planning phase. Plans that are developed to the right level give the best foundation for implementing and controlling projects effectively.
The business case for project management
A solution for project management can give results such as:
- A better understanding, acceptance and application of the organisation's project model.
- Increased opportunities to complete projects on time and within budget.
- A usable toolbox for initiating, planning, controlling, implementing and finishing projects.
- Improved opportunities for interaction and cooperation within and between projects.
- Reduced costs for project administration and manual work.
- Continuously improved project implementation through exploiting experience from previous projects and reusing plans, documents and project work.
- Increased opportunities to ensure quality and ability to deliver, and to reduce errors and problems.
- Increased participation from project members and interested parties and better feedback on their work and information about the development of the project.
Experience within project management
Never start a project with an unclear goal or where there is a risk of resource shortages. Do not take on the project manager role if it is obvious that there is not sufficient time.
Ensuring that all interested parties are updated as to what is happening in the project is one of the project manager's most important tasks. Regularly inform those affected of project status and any problems or deviations.
Don't forget the important project closure phase. This is partly an indication that now the project is closed and delivered and partly the occasion where all project participants have the opportunity to draw lessons from the project so that forthcoming projects become even more effective.
An overall solution for project management is used by the whole project operation, by all interested parties and is suitable for all types of project, both large and small. Common applications are:
- development projects
- delivery/customer projects
- improvement projects
- marketing projects
How does CANEA solve project management?
CANEA ONE is an integrated program family which includes solutions for managing business information such as goals, projects, documents, processes, cases and other data.
The CANEA Project module is based on the global standard in the area, the PMBOK® Guide, and is designed to support all types of projects with functions including:
- Project room - the project's meeting place and digital bulletin board.
- Project models - clickable, graphic models with gatekeeper functionality.
- Time planning - clear plans with activities, milestones and gates including Gantt views.
- Situation reporting - with traffic lights and support for earned value.
- Template projects - draw lessons from previous projects.
Read more about CANEA Project here.